Friday, January 28, 2011

Everyone Was Frightened of the Noble Middle-Aged Lady

A noble middle-aged lady who is dressed professionally should be welcomed and attract people, right?   But in this case, when her subordinates met her, after saying, “Hi,” they often said, “Excuse me, I forgot my coffee,” or “Excuse me, I left something in my car,” and they would immediately move away.  The reason was that she always yelled at her subordinates, and the reason for her yelling was that she was always exhausted; she felt really awful, and had no power to do anything.
 
A well-known professor recommended her to me.  She was a health facility director in Silicone Valley.  After conducting the TCM examination for her, I realized that her energy was low, and her job responsibility was too much which is why she felt so awful and yelled at her subordinates.  I comforted her: “Take some treatments, your are going to get better.  Of course, that is not a guarantee.”  She said,  “I understand.  How come I feel so weak?”  I told her, “There are a few major causes: first, born to be weak; second, working too hard; third, for your degree, you studied quite hard to get your title.  Your body was damaged during that time.  You were young, and it is just like driving a new car, but not handling it properly.  It is being worn out but the problem does not become evident until later.”  After listening, she shouted, “Oh! I see.”  But she still doubted how I would be able to make her better.  I told her, “In the beginning don’t think so much, lie down and take a nap, let me insert a few needles; if you feel tired you don’t even have to respond to me.  I turned off the light, kept the heat lamp on, and probably she was so exhausted, the red color of heat lamp made her eyes tired, and she fell asleep. 

During the treatment, she said she felt like a drunk person.  After I pulled out the needles, I told her not to get up all at once, but to first move a little.  She asked, “May I know why?”  I replied, “Acupuncture treatment regulates and tonifies your body.  Your body has to repair many things and this also requires energy; that’s why you have to move around a little before getting up.”  After getting up, she felt a little better, but still felt lethargic. 

I said, “Your herb tea is ready. Enjoy your tea; it will energize you.”  After finished her herb she asked, “Am I getting better right now?”  I replied, “Since it took a long time for your condition to develop, it will also take some time to get better.”  She said, “I understand that, but what I meant is, what about today and tomorrow, will I feel better?”  I said, “There are two possibilities: one, you just simply feel better, or secondly, you might feel very sleepy and awfully tired.”  She said, “Yes, but what if I have to do many things?”  I said, “You are feeling tired because your body is now repairing itself; it may shut down some service in order to repair a major organ, but if you struggle, you can manage.  The body won’t be able to repair as much or as quickly if the conditions necessary for repair are not allowed.”

Because of her education and personal character, we had no arguments during her many treatment periods. She began to feel better and better with each succeeding treatment, and she began to smile more often. Her subordinates very seldom forget their coffee. When she said good-bye to me after the last treatment, I gave her a guarantee that her subordinates won’t leave anything in their car. She said, “Excuse me, Dr. Ng, please don’t laugh at me! Thank you -- so long.”

No comments:

Post a Comment