Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The 100-Mile Drive

A very nice Caucasian gentleman about 70 years old told me his shoulder pain had been unbearable for a long time.  The pain was so bad he kept a gun next his bed, often putting the barrel in his mouth, but always in the end, failing to pull the trigger.  
 
One day his neighbor committed suicide.  He saw the suffering of the surviving family members.  He also realized that even though he may have suffered more than his neighbor, he had chosen not to kill himself.  The entire episode was a wake-up call for him and decided he must try earnestly to remedy his condition.  It was this situation that caused him to drive 100 miles from the Sacramento area to see me.

The shoulder pain was especially acute at night.  He asked me, “Why? Why can I not enjoy my retirement?”  I said, “Probably you worked very hard in the past and the strain wore out your body.  It is just like using a credit card.  You don’t feel anything while you are spending the money, but when it comes time to pay, then you really feel bad.”  “Oh, I see,” he responded.

He continued to ask why he felt pain at night.  I said, “Good question.  This is why we talk about yin and yang.  Let me take a look at your tongue.”  His tongue looks very white.  I continued, “Your warming up energy is not enough. When the sun is up in the sky you don’t have to use much energy.  When the sun sets, then your energy need is greater; it is nature’s law.   Your body has to burn more energy to warm you up.  In young people there is a good supply, but your body doesn’t have the same amount of resources. It cannot produce the amount of heat that it needs, and you feel cold.  When there is not enough money in the State treasury, local agencies tighten up their budgets.  So, your shoulder will tighten up because the muscles are not getting enough blood circulation, and that is why you feel pain.  After listening he said, “Oh boy, I see.”

I began to treat him by tonifying his body.  The tonification reinforced his shoulder circulation.  He became much better and was finally discharged.

No comments:

Post a Comment