Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Wish to Live 30 Years Longer

A well-educated Caucasian man with a hepatitis problem came to my clinic.  He wanted a secret consultation with me.  His concern was to live five years longer in order to take care of his son until he was grown up.
 
I asked, “Why do you ask for only five years?”  He said, “I have a liver problem, and I often feel pain in my ribs.  I want to see my son grow up, then he will be able to take care of himself.”  This man came in for many treatments and his pain diminished substantially.  I urged him to have a medical check-up to see if the liver problem was getting better.  He promised to do it but he did not actually go.

As his treatments continued, he reached a point where he felt little or no pain.  Again I urged him to have a medical check-up.  He promised, but as he did not tell me anything after that I believed once again he did not go for a check-up.  He continued treatments and continued to get stronger.  One day he came in and said very close to my ear, “Dr. Ng, can you make me live 30 years longer?”  I laughed and laughed; I laughed until I started coughing.  “I’m not the right person to talk to about that,” I said.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dr. Ng,

    This story is really funny! I saw a lot of patients with similar case from work.

    ReplyDelete